Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Communication

Communication-is the activity of conveying information (Wikipedia.org)

This free flow of information is the key.  If there is anything I've learned in the almost 22 years I've been around it's that no one should ever be afraid to share information and one should always be open to the passage of new information.  Once again I've come to a situation in my life where communication was the key to everything and reflecting on similar situations I've encountered in the past it seems like I have learned a thing or two! I am so proud to say that not only through my day to day life, but particularly through participation in different sports I have learned that it is important to communicate your needs to others and listen to what others have to say in response to those needs, or what things they require of you.  Today was a tremendous leap in progress because I communicated with those around me to find out what their thoughts were and I shared my thoughts with them.  Now the situation, instead of being an ominous storm brewing, is a rainbow after a nice calm spring shower. 
How does this relate to triathlon training?  It actually has everything to do with every kind of training or mentor ship for that matter! People have not yet figured out how to read minds and it is up to you to communicate what is in your mind for others to better understand.  This goes the same in reverse you can never change your thoughts or actions if you do not know that they need to be changed.
I feel so lucky to reap not only the physical benefits to training but the social and emotional benefits that tag alongside it.  Today there was a different kind of workout added into my weekly training plan and I feel the growth that resulted warrants just as much excitement as a PR in a TT :)

No comments:

Post a Comment