Monday, February 24, 2014

First Race of 2014--UCSD's Tritonman!

Off to a solid start in my Vendetta-thanks XTERRA!
The 2014 season has officially begun! Last weekend University of California, San Diego (UCSD) hosted a two-day triathlon event.  The weekend started with a draft legal race on Saturday (that's what I competed in!) and finished up with a non-drafting race on Sunday.  UCSD did a fantastic job (once again) putting on a great race, I highly recommend checking it out next year--thanks again!

As with many early season races, you really never know what you're gonna get on race morning.  I can't say I felt terrible on race morning, but I definitely felt rusty and not quite up to a "race ready performance".  I didn't think too much about it though because half of the game is mental, and that is one thing you absolutely have control over! So I attacked the race as if I felt like the queen of triathlon and let the day play out.
After [almost] two laps solo, I got swallowed by pack of 10 for lap 3!
                                                                                    It was an off day, no great excuses like "I'm injured" or "I have bronchitis", just wasn't my best day! I made a few crucial mistakes that led to a less than desirable result, but it was the first race of 2014 and an incredible learning experience to prepare me for the rest of an exciting season, so, to be honest, I'm really happy about it. Congratulations to all the racers who competed, it was a competitive field of women and a fun race!

I'm gearing up for another draft legal sprint
Almost to T2!
in two weeks--PATCO Sprint Championships in Sarasota, FL and I will bring every lesson learned at Tritonman (and all previous races) with me--can't wait to toe the line again and see what I've got!

Until next time :)
@nicoletruxes

No comments:

Post a Comment